Cinderell-y

Okay, stage two of my Princesses for Disney Funtimes. My Niece number Two is going as Cinderella, her favorite Princess. (Aside from Tinkerbelle, and Ive already ranted about revealing outfits enough). I decide to raid my pattern stash and see what I can do.

VOILA!!



Neckline not too reveling, nice historical background, and a parted 'top skirt' which brings to mind Cindy's Swags. The sleeves would have to go though.

So first I picked my fabrics. If you'll recall...




The shiny white stuff is for swags and sleeves, blue embroidered bit over white for the bodice and the blue satin is for the skirt. A note on that, by the by. The satin was originally off-white in color. I used an entire dye pot of navy to tint it blue and it came out remarkably well.




So. The bodice.

I placed the netting over the white, and then pinned it down firmly. Then I placed the pattern on it and cut that slippery mother out.




Afterwards, I sewed each panel to its backings, and then to each other. 


Bonus! Got some actual pattern matching going on there. WOOT!! Anyway. 


On Blue, in various, badly lit, photos. 

Next I used my brand new, handy dandy grommet-puncher-thingy-mabober and made eyelets. Yay! 




Of course, the skirt I didn't even bother photographing. I layered the three yards long, ridiculously wide piece down, and folded it three times. Then I sliced it diagonally. Gave me three pieces on the fold and six half pieces. I sewed them together, alternating. Then, I sewed the waistband on, just a piece of wide ribbon I had lying around. I used all excess fabric in the front, for the pleating seen on Cindy's dress. 

Next: SWAGS. I borrowed heavily from here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6AE9Q7Nhao





SO grateful for her tutorial. Her and her mum ROCK! 

Anyway, I eyeballed the shape and haphazardly performed despicable acts upon my defenseless fabric. I cut our four and wedged a similar shaped netting in the middle for added pouf. I love Traybuff's gown but my personal preferences lean toward a slightly LESS bodacious hip-tude. Then I added a long length of netty, shiny lace to the straight edge, like Traybuff. She really inspired me with this. 




Afterward I well, I wouldn't call it draping. I PIN patterns up. So this is the dress, Pinned to Blue. 



I might mention at this point the skirt is a three yard long rectangle that I roughly pleated to fit for aesthetic reasons. I liked the shape and so sewed all the layers together and then roughly pleated the long, curved up and sewed it to a length of bias tape to keep it all together and assist in sewing it to the bodice afterwards. 



Then I roughly tacked on some swatches of fabric for sleeves to get a good look at the full picture.



 And took it to work with me, to work on the little stuff.

(A note here. Turns out the bodice needed a bit more backing and I feared that my nieces, well, 'tips' might be dark enough to show through. Since I had already sewn the bodice I had to Frankenstein a thicker lining and tack it in. THEN I went and sewed side back to front and side front to the back! So somewhere in there the lining doesn't line up exactly. Lol. As Traybuff would say. 'Can't be bothered!")



Heres my best pic of it, with the necklace I bought. Actually pictures will be put up way later. Blue is assisting me with another gown.

Sneak peek?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring/Summer Wardrobe, Shorts Plan

Ariel Pink Dress Tutorial Part One

Truly Victorian Edwardian Underpinnings; TVE02