Patterns!

For 2018 my Family Portrait is going to be Edwardian. I've already got Truly Victorian E01, A lovely straight front corset already sized and copied. I'm working on cutting out the muslin soon! I've also got Truly Victorian Edwardian Underwear and am SO looking forward to sewing those French Drawers. I've got six yards of lace just begging for some frippery.

So patterns. Just wanted to gush about those new Mccalls patterns!
Add caption

Oh. Em. Gee. 

Angela Clayton, the lovely talented Artist of a Seamstress has made a pattern. Holy hell. Look at that! 


Man, the line ART!! Im super excited about this one. 

Anway, the patterns Im most interested in are those to assist in sewing menswear. My guy is a big guy, I mean BIG. So the normal Big Four patterns fall short in sizing for him. Thats ok, I can upsize to his size with very little difficulty. Edwardian fashion for men is depressingly similar to Victorian because after the foppery of the 1700s, there was little diversity in men's everyday wear. 

McCalls 7003


Vest has shaped front hemline, notched collar, contrast back, and back buckled tab. Coat has contrast notched collar, flaps, pockets, side-back seams, back vent and two-piece sleeves. Back and sleeves: Button trim. A, B: Lined. Tapered pants have front button waistband, side-front pockets, fly zipper and optional button trim. A, B, C:Fitted. Tie has neck band, loop and hook & eye closure.

McCalls 7399
Close-fitting, lined, interfaced, single and double-breasted vests have backward shoulder seam, front extending to side-back, no shoulder or side seams, back cut of lining, and belt with buckle. A, B: Welt pockets. A: Shawl collar. B: Mandarin collar. C:Wide lapels and stand-up collar. Close-fitting, tapered pants have front button waistband, side-front pockets and mock-fly zipper.


Both of these are good starts, getting the basic line of the outfits without getting too specific into era. The other patterns Im looking at are Butterick, which is a pair of patterns that work together. 


Nice, right? Good lines, clean cut. I can use this as a great base to elaborate on and create a full suit for Edwardian times. Of course, if I was able to afford the laughing moon patterns, that would be FANTASTIC. 

Mens Trousers 1850-1910

 Truly Victorian Men's Patterns

 Truly Victorian Men's Patterns

Of course, the issue of this is that I can get the McCalls patterns for 1.99 a piece, and the Butterick for under 5.00 a piece and to buy the three patterns I need from Laughing Moon I'd need at least 60.00. Aint that a stinker? If I want to save cash I can work with the Butterick/McCalls, but if I shell out I can get the Laughing Moon which actually would require no upsizing. 

Lastly Reconstructing History





Can I just say, I love the names of these patterns. Its so delightful! So Brittish and stuffy and awesome. I am delighted. Anyway, these patterns are about 18.00$ a piece, so again, a good 40.00 dollars shipping not included. 

To Document, my Guy's measurements: 

Chest 52"
Waist 54"
Hip 56"
Waist to Shoulder 24"
Shoulder Width 19"
Neck To Waist 22"
Neck Circumference 21" 
Inseam 29"
Out-seam 38"
Bicep 18"
Wrist 8 1/2"
Thigh 29"

Actually after looking at the measurement charts on McCalls and Butterick websites it appears I could totally work the 56 size.... food for thought I suppose....









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring/Summer Wardrobe, Shorts Plan

Ariel Pink Dress Tutorial Part One

Truly Victorian Edwardian Underpinnings; TVE02